Friday, September 12, 2008

Remember 9-11-01

It took me a day, but I would like to share some on September 11, 2001. When September 11th happened I was living in Tennessee / Kentucky with Jim being in the military. I worked at a hotel (Holiday Inn) as the sales manager there. The hotel was located right down the highway from the military post that Jim was stationed at. I was running a little bit late that morning and while driving by post I noticed some strange things. When I arrived at work, the TV was on and everybody and I mean everybody was starring at the screen! It was so scary and so shocking. I just kept thinking I was dreaming. Right then I tried to call answer....tried to call his answer. So, I then called my parents that were at that time in Las Vegas. They were still asleep and had no idea that this had happened. They immediately turned on the TV to all the news casts.
Needless to say, I did not work that day. I was a basket case (as I know many people were). I stayed at work for a little while to "settle" down then preceded back down the highway to go home. Of course, I had not been around the military life for very long and was "scared" when I drove back by. They had it completely locked down! It was like NOTHING I had ever seen before EVER!!!! All the gates were closed, locked, and all had armored tanks with soldiers at each one. I was crying so hard I could hardly see the road. I then tryed to call Jim again....still no answer. The highway was backed up for miles and miles and miles with cars ( I have pictures). It remained like this for several days! After several hours, I finally received a phone call from Jim informing me they were locked down and nobody and I mean nobody was allowed in or out of post. He did finally arrive home in the middle of the night that night sometime.
This was the beginning of MANY changes that occurred in our lives. Jim informed me that night when he arrived (as he was packing some things up) that he WOULD be going overseas for SURE, but not sure exactly when. He told me to know that if one day he did not come home that is what had happened. So, being in Special Forces they had to do things very secretly, so therefore I would have no idea when it would be the last time I would see my husband until who knew when! This was the hardest thing I had to face in my life.
About 12 days later...Jim did not come home that night. He did not come home that next morning, and he did not come home that day either....he was gone! They had to warning, no nothing as he had warned me about! Oh my goodness, the tears that fell from my face that day....the prayers that I reached out to God with....the confusion....the was the hardest day of my life!!!
About a week and a half later I received a very short phone call from Jim informing me he was "there". I had no idea where or any other information because he could not relay any of that over the phone, but just to hear his voice for a few minutes was good for a little bit of relief. He was in Afghanistan for approximately 5 months with little contact to the "outside" world. Then, he was sent to Iraq as well about 4 months after his return.
I would like to thank you all for your prayers and support during this time and PLEASE continue to pray for all men and women serving our country for our FREEDOM! GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR LEADERS, AND OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!


Carly said...

I'm glad you are able to talk about this. To this day, I cannot bring myself to watch anything dealing with 9/11 (political, memorial,etc.). I don't know why it is so hard for me to deal with. I didn't know anyone involved in any of the terrorist attacks, but I think it was the personal circumstances surrounding the events that make it so hard for me.
Miss ya!

Shannon P said...

Wow.....that was so interesting to read. Actually "interesting" doesn't do it justice. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you. How long had you been married at that point? God has blessed you. :)